Virco

The Virco Manufacturing Corporation is an American company situated in Torrance, California, specializing in educational furniture. Student desks, school and business seats, computer stations, lightweight foldable tables, and upholstered chairs are among the company's main items.

Julian Virtue started Virco in February 1950 in Los Angeles, California, with its initial facility on Vermont Avenue. Virtue also bought the Slauson Aircraft Company in 1950 to avoid establishing his firm from the ground up. Despite its name, Slauson Aircraft had become a school furniture manufacturer in the post-World War II peacetime economy, with a massive deal with the Los Angeles School Districts. Virco swiftly rose to become the primary maker of classroom supplies in the Greater Los Angeles area due to this purchase.

In 1954, Virco added to its portfolio by purchasing the Dunn Furniture Company in Conway, Arkansas. This purchase gave the firm a national footprint, allowing them to sell on the East and West coasts and considerably boosting their sales volume.

Virco's principal client base is Education which includes; preschool - 12th Grade; junior and community colleges; four-year universities and colleges; trade, general - vocational schools. The company is also a significant provider of furniture and equipment for large venues and arenas, banquets and meeting facilities, federal, state, county, municipal government institutions, and churches and mosques.

The firm is well known for its ZUMA seats, which may be seen in various environments. ZUMA fills the need with seating that provides ergonomic support, a whimsical aesthetic, and long-lasting durability – all at an accessible price.

Virco principally operates in two countries: the United States, where 93.6 percent of its income is generated, and Canada, where most of the remaining 6.4 percent of revenue is generated. In Los Angeles County, Virco is said to supply between 50 and 60 percent of the school furniture. In fact, in 1997, Virco was predicted to have a majority of the educational furnishing market in the United States.

Virco has participated in various environmental projects, with local, state, and federal authorities recognizing their achievements. Doug Virtue, Virco's president and a member of the Mono Lake Committee, has been a driving force behind the push for more environmentally conscious corporate practices, declaring in 2002 that sustainability is "the state toward which all companies must progress." In 1989, the firm started a recycling program. By 2010, it had processed over 313 million pounds of recyclable materials from more than 40 different categories.

Virco has made great efforts to limit chemical emissions from its goods, becoming the first school producer to achieve GREENGUARD certification for indoor air quality for children and schools. Hundreds of the company's products were approved for indoor air quality by 2005, accounting for 75 percent of the company's sales volume. Virco also shifted from wet paint lines to powders by 2002 to become virtually waste-free.

Virco has been certified as a "Good Corporate Citizen" by the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County to reduce its wastewater discharge and maintain its environmental equipment without any penalties. The California Integrated Garbage Management Board has frequently honored Virco in their Waste Reduction Awards Program for their efforts to recycle waste and achievement in diverting waste from landfills. Finally, Virco is a founding member of the WasteWise program of the United States Environmental Protection Agency. Virco is still an active member of the WasteWise program, having received multiple honors and been inducted into the WasteWise Hall of Fame as one of the original three founder members in 2003. The US General Services Administration, the Sierra Club, and the National Recycling Coalition have all given Virco environmental honors.

Virco is a respected company, having generated net sales of roughly $191 million in the fiscal year 2019, with a net income of around $2 million.

Where to buy Virco

Why buy Virco

  • Virco holds a solid reputation as the best manufacturer for educators.
  • Virco products are incredibly versatile and can be used in offices, classrooms, and even religious settings.
  • Virco has made great efforts to limit chemical emissions from its goods, becoming the first school producer to achieve GREENGUARD certification for indoor air quality for schools.
  • Virco has participated in various environmental projects, with local, state, and federal authorities recognizing their achievements.
  • They have more than 70 years of manufacturing experience.
  • They make all their products in the United States.
Showing 5 of 5 products
Interiorbeat